One of the gentle types of hair coloring is hair toning. The procedure allows you to change the color by several shades without damaging the structure of the hair, as, for example, when coloring with an ammonia compound. There are other features of toning, which we will consider in more detail.
Mastering the Art of Toning Hair at Home
Toning your hair at home can seem like a daunting task, especially with so many products and methods available. However, with the right guidance, you can achieve salon-worthy results without leaving your house. Here’s your comprehensive guide to toning hair at home.
Understanding Hair Toning
Before diving into the process, it’s essential to know what toning is and why it’s done. Toning neutralizes unwanted brassy or yellow tones in bleached or blonde hair, bringing out a more refined shade.
Choosing the Right Toner
The choice of toner depends on the desired shade and the current tone of your hair. For instance:
- Purple toners are perfect for neutralizing yellow hues.
- Blue toners work best for orange or brassy tones.
To tone your hair at home, gather the following essentials:
- Hair toner
- Developer (usually 10 or 20 volume)
- A mixing bowl
- A brush for application
- Plastic gloves
- A timer
- Shampoo and conditioner (preferably sulfate-free)
Step-by-Step Guide to Toning at Home
- Prepare Your Hair: Start with clean, towel-dried hair. This ensures even toner application.
- Mixing: Combine the toner and developer as per the product instructions. Always follow the recommended ratio for best results.
- Application: Wearing your gloves, apply the toner mixture evenly to your hair using the brush. Begin at the roots and work your way to the tips.
- Timing is Crucial: Let the toner sit for the time recommended on the product or until you achieve the desired shade. Be cautious; over-toning can lead to an overly ashy or purple hue.
- Rinse and Condition: Rinse the toner out with cold water. Follow up with a sulfate-free conditioner to keep your hair moisturized and soft.
After toning, your hair may need some extra TLC:
- Use color-safe shampoos and conditioners.
- Limit exposure to direct sunlight, as it can fade the toner.
- Use heat protectant sprays before styling.
What are the benefits of toning?
If compared to classic coloring, toning is considered a gentle method of changing color. Tinting paint contains a minimal amount of ammonia, and most formulations do not have it at all. The active pigments remain on the surface of the hair, do not penetrate deep into the hair, and do not destroy the natural structure. This is not the only advantage of toning, there are also the following advantages:
- Dyeing is temporary, and if the result is unsuccessful, it is possible to change the shade in the near future.
- There are no restrictions on the length of the hair, the main thing is to observe the technology of application.
- There is a wide palette of colors. You can try any shades, having dyed all your hair, or you can tone your hair after bleaching.
- Additional nourishment of the hair, and improvement of appearance. Nourishing components are added to a number of products, positively affecting the health of the hair, and beauty.
- Availability. There are various means for toning, which are not difficult to use on their own, not only by visiting a hairdressing salon.
The benefits of hair tinting can be fully appreciated if the whole process is carried out correctly. Do not forget about the peculiarities of such coloring: it has a temporary effect, and to maintain it you need to systematically carry out the procedure. Cardinal changes in color also can not be achieved, for these purposes, it is necessary to lighten with subsequent coloring with compositions containing ammonia.
How to do toning
Among the options on how to change the shade – toning hair at home or going to the salon for professional help. The first option involves pre-selection of a toning product, studying the instructions and following them clearly.
Types of tinting products
There are a number of different products for tinting, differing in effect, and the type of impact, such as light, temporary, intensive, and gentle, as well as some other parameters.
Manufacturers offer a wide variety of products, which can be classified as follows:
- Shampoos. A common method in which there is a gentle toning of the hair, due to the regular application of the effect is long-lasting.
- Tonics. Developed specifically for hair toning, additionally enriched with nutrients that maintain the beauty of the hair, and an attractive appearance.
- Mousses, sprays, foams. They allow to achieve a quick result, can be easily washed away, and there are products with a particularly durable effect.
Each product for hair toning has certain recommendations for use, the shade characteristics in relation to the original color, and the planned one. All these features should be taken into account and strictly follow the instructions.